Monday, October 3, 2011

Review: Indelible by Lani Woodland

Title: Indelible (The Yara Silva Trilogy, #2)
Author: Lani Woodland
Pages: 394 (ARC copy)
Publisher: Pendrell Publishing
Release Date: September 27, 2011
Yara is beginning to understand just how much her life will change now that her Waker abilities have emerged. She has come to terms with the fact that seeing ghosts is part of her life, but she isn t ready to let being a Waker dictate her choices. All she wants is a ghost-free senior year with her boyfriend, Brent, and her best friend, Cherie. But Yara soon discovers that there are more dark secrets in her school's history than just the curse she broke. While an angry ghost makes Yara question everything she thought she knew about spirits, she and Brent learn that there are long reaching consequences to last year s adventures. As new enemies emerge and old ghosts resurface, Yara finds herself in the center of another deadly mystery, and this time she has to contend with the living as well as the dead.

My Thoughts: I thought the story in Indelible was even better than the one in Instrinscial (and I loved that one). In this book, we learn that the world of those with supernatural abilities is much more complex and complicated than Yara Silva once believed. There's whole groups of people out there Yara had no idea about, and she is caught in the middle because she is a very talented and powerful Waker. And if that isn't enough, she soon finds out that what happened with her and her boyfriend Brent during the previous school year isn't over. It's coming back to haunt them both in ways they never expected.

Yara was awesome in this book. In my review for Intrinsical, I mentioned that I didn't warm up to her right away, but in Indelible, I completely loved her! It's clear that Yara has definitely grown as a person, a Waker, and a character. What Yara went through in this book was not easy. If I were her, I would have lost my patience a long time ago and blown up on some people. Throughout the book other characters tried to threaten or guilt her into doing what she didn't want to do, but Yara followed her instincts and did what she knew was right, without making rash decisions this time around! I was seriously even more proud of her in this book for staying levelheaded and true to herself.

I felt the relationship between Yara and Brent was just as believable as it was in Intrinsical. They didn't fight nearly as much in this one, of course, but they had their share of disagreements, including a huge fight at one point, which was a result of all the stress and complications in their lives. I liked that they weren't perfect. They went through a lot, and they each had their own secrets. While Brent's secret made me want to shake him for keeping it to himself and yet hug and comfort him at the same time, I'm so glad it didn't stop them from wanting to be together. To me it just showed how strong their love for each other is and how much they are willing to do for each other. They also had plenty of adorable moments together. It was too cute! I love them as characters and as a couple, and I sincerely hope they are able to overcome all the obstacles thrown their way and everything turns out fine for them because they really deserve it.

While I enjoyed Yara and Brent so much in this book, there were some other things in the book that ended up frustrating me a bit. I'm glad the whole deal with the Wakers and the Clutch and all the others isn't so simple and that it wasn't all quickly resolved. It makes things way more interesting. But at the same time, there was no way all the questions could have been answered and all the issues resolved in just this book. It would have been unrealistic and too much to take in if there was 100% resolution. So, unlike Intrinsical, Indelible ends with readers still having some questions. Questions about the new mysterious groups and characters.

As I mentioned, some characters would try to tell Yara what to do and yet those same characters were extremely vague about their reasoning and wouldn't give Yara answers. Some acted all high and mighty about it. The Clutch, for example. I hated them!! Another character I'm unsure about is Brent's father. What happened? Did he care what happened to his son? Was he involved with those people or not? I don't get him, and I want to know what his deal is. Other characters couldn't quite help their vagueness, though, like DJ. But in the case of DJ...I couldn't get myself to warm up to him. He had his own agenda, his own lives to protect, but I really didn't like how he kept telling Yara to run away and asking her whether Brent was worth it. There was definitely not a love-triangle, but there were a few moments between DJ and Yara that still made me go: What was up with that? Maybe I was looking too much into it, but it made me uneasy, especially since I had serious trust issues with DJ and I'm such a hardcore Yara/Brent supporter. I don't know, my feelings towards him might change in the next book. We'll see.

Initially I gave Indelible 4.5 stars for those reasons above. However, after thinking about it, I've decided to go ahead with a solid 5 stars because 4.5 was the rating I gave the first book and Indelible really was better. And because I actually like where the story is going, even with the frustrations I had. Also, I have faith and trust that the author will address everything and have everything come together in the final book of the trilogy Inevitable, which I'm so looking forward to reading! (I need another Yara and Brent fix! lol) That being said, if you haven't started the Yara Silva Trilogy yet, you need to get on it! It's definitely a favorite of mine, and it truly is one of the most unique and better YA paranormal series I've read.

Rating: 5 out of 5 stars
Thanks to Lani Woodland for the ARC!

No comments:

Post a Comment