Sunday, November 13, 2011

Review: Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Title: Obsidian (Lux, #1)
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Pages: 266
Publisher: Entangled Publishing
Release Date: December 6, 2011
Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I’d pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring…. until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something…unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon’s touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I’m getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

If I don’t kill him first, that is.

My Thoughts: Ever since I read and completely loved the prequel and the first book in Jennifer L. Armentrout's "Convenant" series, I just knew I had to read more by this author. That series is exciting and kickass and one of my favorite reads for 2011! As you can imagine, I desperately wanted to get my hands on Obsidian, which is the first book in JLA's newest series. I admit, though, I've always had the hardest time reading books on the computer. I get so distracted, my mind wanders, and I've only managed to finish a full novel once. But I was willing to try for Obsidian. I'm happy to say that I wasn't at all bothered reading it as an eGalley! In fact, I was easily hooked and read through it quickly. I just couldn't stop reading; it was that addicting! To me, it proved once again that Jennifer L. Armentrout is a definite author to watch.

After reading JLA's other novel Half-Blood, I told her on Twitter that I would read anything she writes. Then I think she replied with something about garden gnomes delivering pizza. I wish I had the original tweet because it made me laugh. Anyway, what I remember thinking was that I would read it as long as there's romance! Because for real. JLA can write a make-out scene! The romance between the main characters in Obsidian, Katy and Daemon... Well, they have a love-hate relationship going on. Sometimes I found all the bickering frustrating because they seriously argued about 95% of the time and I kept thinking, 'Oh, just kiss already!' However, whenever they were together, the tension between them got pretty electrifying. And going through all that made the moments they shared together where there wasn't any fighting totally worth the wait!

Now, the reason for all the fighting was because of Daemon. (Really, I can only blame Katy for a little bit of it. haha) Daemon can be an ass. He was a very big one when Katy first met him. He had his reasons though. He's not very trusting of humans and is willing to do whatever he can to protect his sister and himself. It didn't excuse the way he acted, but I felt like I understood why he's not so nice sometimes. And as the book goes on, it seemed Daemon just enjoyed getting under Katy's skin. He definitely had his moments, of course, and that's why I couldn't help but to like him!

As for Katy, I liked her from the beginning. She didn't allow Daemon to run all over her and scare her away. There was this one awesome moment involving spaghetti, and I was like, "YES!" I seriously wished at that moment I could go into the book and high-five Katy! There were a few times where she made some not-so-great decisions, but I couldn't bring myself to hold it against it her since she usually ended up proving herself. Another thing I liked about Katy was that she was a book blogger! I could easily relate to that. (Was anyone else waiting for Katy to make a My Book Boyfriend post featuring AIDEN?) This is probably the first time I've read a book where the main character is a book blogger, and I thought it was a unique and fun thing to include.

Obsidian was highly addictive and filled with all kinds of funny, surprising, HOT, and action-packed moments. Jennifer L. Armentrout really knows how to make it easy to get into a story! I also loved that it was about aliens because I don't believe I've seen much of that in the YA category. I'm very much looking forward to reading the next book (and the rest of JLA's novels)! Seriously cannot wait to find out what happens next with Katy and Daemon and to know more about the other characters. Big thanks goes out to Entangled Publishing for giving me the opportunity to read an eGalley!

Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

2 comments:

  1. I really need to get approve for this book. nothing but good things about this book. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    Jay @ We Fancy Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone says this book has HOT dialouge. I have to find out what this means ?! I feel bad, when I first saw this book I made fun of the cover, but now I love Jennifer and think she is awesome (based on her blog and twitter). I have Dameon and I need to read it.

    I heard Katy is a book blogger. That's so cool

    Also, your sister is a crazy good artist. I love your banner.

    ReplyDelete