Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mini-Reviews #6

The following mini-reviews are for books I read during the past couple of months. Even though I wish I had, I didn't write full reviews for these, but I hope I managed to get my feelings across in each of these mini-reviews.

Insurgent by Veronica Roth / Released: May 1, 2012
I have to admit that Tris and Tobias, especially Tris, were really frustrating me throughout the book. And I didn't feel a connection towards the other characters (I got REALLY tired of hearing about Will) or the story till the last page of chapter 30. That's when things started getting good, in my opinion. Tris was finally making sense. But then! Sadly, I felt it went back to the way it was before once Tris started acting pretty much the same way she was acting in the beginning of the book. Keeping secrets, like she's the only who can do or understand things. Plus, ALL the adults annoyed me. UGH. I guess I'll read the last book, but I'm not feeling much for it right now. Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars

Pan's Whisper by Sue Lawson / Releases: Oct. 1, 2011
This book was so heartbreaking and beautiful. The summary makes it seem like it would be all about Pan's relationship with a guy named Hunter, but it's more than that. It's about her desperately trying to remember her past through the memories she has of her sister Morgan. Morgan was such an amazing person, and their relationship was precious, yet gut-wrenching because of their circumstance. Hunter was also a wonderful character. Sometimes a damaged girl like Pan needs a perfect guy who is patient and understanding. This book was another example of how great Australian YA fiction is, and I would highly recommend it to contemporary fans. Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

Such a Rush by Jennifer Echols / Releases: July 10, 2012
Before I had read this book, my expectations were a bit high. Going Too Far was the only Echols novel I had read, and it happened to be one of my favorite books! Thankfully this book was good too. The story felt believable to me. I loved that it was set in South Carolina. (That's where I live!) I really liked Leah and Grayson, although Grayson did frustrate me at times. Whenever they were around each other I could feel the tension between them and could tell they had some sizzling chemistry. I don't think I felt as connected to Grayon's twin and Leah's best friend, but at least the sparks between Leah and Grayson made up for it. I think Echols fans will really enjoy this one! Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

1 comment:

  1. Too bad you didn't like insurgent too much. Thanks for introducing me to what sounds like a wonderful contemporary novel!

    ReplyDelete