Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Review: Harmonic Feedback by Tara Kelly

Title: Harmonic Feedback
Author: Tara Kelly
Pages: 278
Publisher: Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)
Release Date: May 25, 2010

"Sixteen-year-old, music- and sound design-obsessed Drea doesn’t have friends. She has, as she’s often reminded, issues. Drea’s mom and a rotating band of psychiatrists have settled on a touch of Asperger’s.

Having just moved to the latest in a string of new towns, Drea meets two other outsiders. And Naomi and Justin seem to actually like Drea. The three of them form a band after an impromptu, Portishead-comparison-worthy jam after school. Justin swiftly challenges not only Drea’s preference for Poe over Black Lab but also her perceived inability to connect with another person. Justin, against all odds, may even like like Drea.

It’s obvious that Drea can’t hide behind her sound equipment anymore. But just when she’s found not one but two true friends, can she stand to lose one of them?"

My Thoughts: Sometimes there are books that end up being very different than what I first imagined from reading the book's summary. This book is definitely one of them. I love when that happens because usually it ends up being even better than I imagined.

I loved Drea, Justin, and Naomi. They were awesome and good people. I may not have exactly their problems, but I do have my own, and I could easily relate to their characters. When I read the book's summary and looked at the cover (which fit perfectly, by the way), I thought the entire book would be dark and serious. But it wasn't. On almost every page there was something that cracked me up! Not that I'm saying there aren't any dark and serious moments because there definitely is. And I definitely cried. I still feel like I crying.

Music is a part of this book, but if you're worried you won't recognize the musicians, it's okay. It doesn't take over, which I liked. Although, honestly, I wouldn't have minded knowing more about the music Drea and Justin listened to because I seem to have a similar taste in music. I want Justin's Björk shirt (heck, just give me Justin! heh), and I have the urge to listen to Snow Patrol's "Somewhere a Clock is Ticking."

So I'll just end by saying that if you're looking for a book with great characters and a book that will most likely make you laugh and cry, then I recommend this book to you.

My Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment