Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Review: Nevermore by Kelly Creagh

Title: Nevermore
Author: Kelly Creagh
Pages: 528 (ARC copy)
Publisher: Atheneum
Release Date: August 31, 2010

"Cheerleader Isobel Lanley is horrified when she is paired with Varen Nethers for an English project, which is due—so unfair—on the day of the rival game. Cold and aloof, sardonic and sharp-tongued, Varen makes it clear he’d rather not have anything to do with her either. But when Isobel discovers strange writing in his journal, she can’t help but give this enigmatic boy with the piercing eyes another look.

Soon, Isobel finds herself making excuses to be with Varen. Steadily pulled away from her friends and her possessive boyfriend, Isobel ventures deeper and deeper into the dream world Varen has created through the pages of his notebook, a realm where the terrifying stories of Edgar Allan Poe come to life.

As her world begins to unravel around her, Isobel discovers that dreams, like words, hold more power than she ever imagined, and that the most frightening realities are those of the mind. Now she must find a way to reach Varen before he is consumed by the shadows of his own nightmares.

His life depends on it."

My Thoughts: O.M.G.

That was my reaction, anyway, to the majority of the book. Maybe I had such a strong reaction because I started the book not realizing it was a paranormal. Yes, I read the summary, but obviously it went over my head. This is what I assumed it would be about: The goth boy, Varen, would have some mental issues (like schizophrenia), and the popular cheerleader girl, Isobel, will fall in love with him and find help for him. And they would all live happily ever after.

I mean, yeah, they are opposites, and they do fall in love, but it was not that simple. It's dark and creepy and eerie. A horror paranormal. (Of course, I should have realized that with Edgar Allan Poe involved). Which made it very exciting for me because I had no idea what would happen next and how this would end.

There were some other things I just did not notice before I read the book. Like the length. It is 500+ pages! Which is not a bad thing because Isobel & Varen's relationship and everything in the story isn't rushed. And at the same time, it didn't feel slow. I felt like something interesting was always happening. And I really liked Kelly Creagh's writing. It was like watching a movie.

Now for the other detail I missed. Actually, I just didn't know. I'm pretty sure not much people know, so let me tell you.

This is going to be a series. A trilogy, apparently.

I know! That was really surpring to me. You would think that a book this long would have everything resolved by the end, but nope, not the case. I will not spoil the ending, but let me just say that when I read the last line in the book, I was thinking, 'There should be sequel. There has to be a sequel. There NEEDS to be a sequel.'

So I haven't revealed much about the story. Well, I don't want to repeat the summary, so I will say this: I was very impressed with the book. I thought the story was really unique and original. Isobel and Varen were great and likeable characters. I wanted to hug Varen! I was proud of Isobel (she deserves a hug too), because she worked so hard to save Varen. Basically, it all goes down October 31, Halloween. But it's not over. Just wait till January 19, the day of Poe's birth.

Seriously can't wait!

My rating: 5 out of 5 stars

3 comments:

  1. Woohoo! I was really curious about this book, so I was practically dancing in my seat when I saw that you reviewed it!

    And I must say, now I really want to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @DM: I loved this book. Hope you enjoy it whenever you read it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this book! I was surprised that it's part of a trilogy too! I'm so happy though, the ending was O.O WHAT??? Great review!

    ReplyDelete