Thursday, June 20, 2013

Reviews: Quintana of Charyn by Melina Marchetta & Battling Boy by Paul Pope

Quintana of Charyn by Melina Marchetta
Release Date: April 23, 2013 / Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

After the devastating cliffhanger in Froi of the Exiles, I was dying to read Quintana of Charyn! It was my #1 anticipated novel of the year. When I got a copy, I pretty much didn't stop for anything. Quintana of Charyn is probably one of the most satisfying conclusions I've ever read for a series. I was so happy with how everything turned out, and at the same time I was sad to see it end. I'm going to miss these characters and their intense relationships.

I wish I could write an awesome review to match the epicness of this book. It's just... Sometimes I find it a bit intimidating to review a Melina Marchetta novel. Not only because other reviewers have already said what I wanted to say in much better words, but because I'm always in such awe of her stories. It tends to leave me speechless, and I can never find the right words to describe my feelings. But trust me when I say that you should not miss out on this amazing series!



Battling Boy by Paul Pope
Release Date: October 8, 2013 / Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars

I only had a vague idea of what Battling Boy was about when I started reading it. But from my experience reading some of Paul Pope's other graphic novels, I knew what I was going to get: awesome artwork, a wonderful story, and badass characters!

It was easy to become immersed in Battling Boy's journey. (Yes, Battling Boy is the main character's name!) He may be young, but he was cool and hilarious. I loved that he was brave, yet unsure of himself. That uncertainty is something that I think we can all relate to, no matter our age. What I also loved about this graphic novel was the humorous and smart dialogue and the non-stop, kickass action. And with that amazing artwork, it wasn't hard at all for me to enjoy this story.

Battling Boy was just a completely fun and engaging read. The ending was a bit abrupt and made me crave more. I'm looking forward to reading the second volume, and I'm hoping we don't have to wait too long for it because I need to know what happens next with these characters!

No comments:

Post a Comment