Thursday, April 14, 2011

Review: Die for Me by Amy Plum

Title: Die for Me (Revenants, #1)
Author: Amy Plum
Pages: 259 (eGalley copy)
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release Date: May 10, 2011
My life had always been blissfully, wonderfully normal. But it only took one moment to change everything.

Suddenly, my sister, Georgia, and I were orphans. We put our lives into storage and moved to Paris to live with my grandparents. And I knew my shattered heart, my shattered life, would never feel normal again. Then I met Vincent.

Mysterious, sexy, and unnervingly charming, Vincent Delacroix appeared out of nowhere and swept me off my feet. Just like that, I was in danger of losing my heart all over again. But I was ready to let it happen.

Of course, nothing is ever that easy. Because Vincent is no normal human. He has a terrifying destiny, one that puts his life at risk every day. He also has enemies . . . immortal, murderous enemies who are determined to destroy him and all of his kind.

While I'm fighting to piece together the remnants of my life, can I risk putting my heart—as well as my life and my family's—in jeopardy for a chance at love?

My Thoughts: The setting of Die for Me was something I really loved about the novel. Reading a paranormal that is not set in a typical location like the United States or the United Kingdom is extremely refreshing. Although Paris is a familiar city, it's not a place most people have the chance to actually experience. I'm glad the author gave us a view of Paris that wasn't focused on cliché attractions and instead gave us a new glimpse of life in Paris.

Revenants were another refreshing aspect of Die for Me. Revenants are like immortals, and while immortals aren't anything new, revenants are a unique type. Revenants have a purpose, a destiny. They can choose to ignore it, but it takes a whole lot of self-control. What revenants have to do and what they go through is something I don't believe I have ever come across in the paranormal genre. I cannot wait to learn more about them.

Sixteen-year-old Kate Mercier is the main character. She and her older sister, Georgia, move to France from New York, after the death of their parents, to live with their grandparents. Losing her parents causes Kate to withdraw from her family and the people around her. But when she meets the mysterious Vincent Delacroix, she finds herself wanting to open up her heart again, even though Vincent may not be normal at all.

I felt both Kate and Vincent had qualities similar to characters in other books. Even the relationship between Kate and Vincent wasn't something we haven't already seen before. However, I thought they were likeable characters. What I really liked the most was that Kate didn't immediately jump into a romantic relationship with Vincent. She thought through the consequences and risks of being a human in a relationship with a revenant, before finally making a decision. Overall I enjoyed their moments together, and as the story went along, I kept wanting more!

The other characters (Vincent's fellow revenants) were great as well. They all had something that made them memorable. Jules definitely stood out among them. He was funny and sweet. I would love to get to know more about all of them, though, especially Ambrose and Charlotte. As for the normal humans, Georgia was an interesting character because, although she was more outgoing than her sister and they sometimes had disagreements, she and Kate seemed to get along pretty well. Hope to see more of her in the next book too.

With an amazing setting, likeable characters, and an original take on a paranormal being, Die for Me is a refreshing read in the young-adult paranormal genre. I look forward to reading the rest of the trilogy!

Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars
eGalley provided by HarperTeen through NetGalley.

1 comment: