Friday, November 11, 2011

Review: Stolen by Lucy Christopher

Title: Stolen
Author: Lucy Christopher
Pages: 299
Publisher: The Chicken House
Release Date: May 1, 2010
Gemma, 16, is on layover at Bangkok Airport, en route with her parents to a vacation in Vietnam. She steps away for just a second, to get a cup of coffee. Ty - rugged, tan, too old, oddly familiar - pays for Gemma's drink. And drugs it. They talk. Their hands touch. And before Gemma knows what's happening, Ty takes her. Steals her away. The unknowing object of a long obsession, Gemma has been kidnapped by her stalker and brought to the desolate Australian Outback.

Stolen is her gripping story of survival, of how she has to come to terms with her living nightmare - or die trying to fight it.

My Thoughts: Gemma is a 16-year-old from London. She and her parents are at the airport in Bangkok, preparing to catch a flight to Vietnam, when she meets a man, Ty, who steals her away and changes her life forever. Stolen is a letter written by the victim to the captor. Gemma's letter reveals what happens between her and Ty during her captivity in the Australian outback.

Throughout the book, I had conflicting feelings towards Ty. Which were kind of similar to the way Gemma felt about him. Ty was patient with Gemma and kind to her. I believe he did care deeply for her. But he had some serious issues. There were glimpses of instability and moments where I thought that he could be capable of hurting her. I also think he was a bit delusional, and I don't believe he was completely honest about every single thing he claimed to know about her.

So I was a bit surprised when I realized that I was starting to sympathize with Ty, just like Gemma, by the end of the book. We got to know Ty and learned some of his story. But it made me wonder if I was sympathizing with him because I was suffering from Stockholm Syndrome, which was brought up in the book. Or was it something else? I'm not sure. It's really a confusing feeling.

Overall, I thought Stolen was a unique and captivating story. Even though I want to know what happens next with these characters, I'm not sure I'm ready to know. Not yet, at least. I think I need to get over this Stockholm Syndrome-ish feeling first.

Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

3 comments:

  1. I've heard really good things about this novel and I have to admit that the summary is very intriguing. Even though it sounds like a more heavy-hearted book than I usually prefer, I might want to give it a chance sometime.

    Thanks for sharing your opinion. Great review! :)
    Carina @ Fictional Distraction

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sort-of-romance (?) in this book creeped me out. But I agree with you, Stolen is truly unique.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so agree. Like, a lot. This book was completely brilliant! And I was confused and surprised by how much I felt while reading this too! It made me reexamine some stuff and it's rather uncomfortable, but uncomfortable in that way of a perfect read that hits you just exactly like it's supposed to.

    ReplyDelete