Monday, April 16, 2012

Review: Fated by Alyson Noel

Title: Fated (Soul Seekers, #1)
Author: Alyson Noel
Pages: 306
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Release Date: May 22, 2012
Lately strange things have been happening to Daire Santos. Animals follow her, crows mock her, and glowing people appear out of nowhere. Worried that Daire is having a nervous breakdown, her mother packs her off to stay in the dusty plains of Enchantment, New Mexico with a grandmother she’s never met.

There she crosses paths with Dace, a gorgeous guy with unearthly blue eyes who she’s encountered before...but only in her dreams. And she’ll get to know her grandmother—a woman who recognizes Daire’s bizarre episodes for what they are. A call to her true destiny as a Soul Seeker, one who can navigate between the worlds of the living and the dead. Her grandmother immediately begins teaching her to harness her powers—but it’s an art that must be mastered quickly. Because Dace’s brother is an evil shape-shifter who’s out to steal her powers. Now Daire must embrace her fate as a Soul Seeker and find out if Dace is one guy she’s meant to be with...or if he’s allied with the enemy she’s destined to destroy.

My Thoughts: Alyson Noel's new series Soul Seekers takes place in the same world as her Immortals series. There's even a short story where Daire meets Ever, which can be read here. When I found out it was the same world, my curiosity for Fated actually faded a bit. I guess it's because I ended up really disappointed with the Immortals series and I was just hoping this new series would be something completely fresh. I'm not going to lie and say it didn't have it's unique moments or that it wasn't an improvement from the Immortals, but in the world of YA paranormal novels, Fated doesn't stand out.

Now, if you're a fan of the Immortals series, I think you will like this book. It has a slow and steady pace. The writing style is consistent. The main character Daire isn't as...well, let's say she doesn't make quite as many bad decisions as Ever. (I have to admit, though, that there were some instances where I saw bits of Ever in Daire. Hopefully Daire's decision-making doesn't go downhill from here. I am worried, since I didn't think Ever was so bad in Evermore either...and then the other books happened.) Also, there's still plenty of magick. There wasn't nearly as much romance as you would expect, but it's there. There's other similar qualities; however, I want to make it clear that I'm NOT saying it's a replica of the Immortals. I'm saying it felt like an Alyson Noel novel, which may be a good thing if you're a fan.

As for me, I won't be continuing this series. I might read reviews with spoilers of future books, but I'm definitely not going out of my way to read the rest. Fated was too long and tedious and boring to me, and I know I can expect the same in the next book. I definitely don't want to go through that three more times either! I don't believe Fated brings anything new to the genre, nor does it stand out at all amongst other YA paranormal novels. It was somewhat of an improvement from the Immortals and that's about it. (And this may be me being picky, but I don't like male characters with long hair. Dace, the love interest, has it, and it's such a huge turn off! So yeah, that sealed the deal for me.) I think I would only recommend Fated to those who are already Alyson Noel fans.

Rating: 3 out of 5 stars
Thanks to St. Martin's Press for the ARC!

1 comment:

  1. I was looking forward to this book just because I thought it might have been an entirely new series from her. But since it's not I think I'll just skip it, because I wasn't all that impressed with the first two Evermore books, and I still haven't even read the others.

    Thanks for the honest review! I'll be moving on to other books instead. :)

    ReplyDelete