Monday, July 9, 2012

Mini-Reviews: Harmony by Sonya Bria & Hell on Wheels by Julie Ann Walker

The following mini-reviews are for books I've read in the past couple of months. I hope I managed to get my feelings across in each of these mini-reviews.

Harmony by Sonya Bria 
Released: June 1, 2012 / Rating: 3 out of 5 stars

Sophie has recently started having recurring nightmares revolving around her mother's death and has even started hearing the voice of Ian, someone she has dreamed about for years, in her mind. She beings to realize that these dreams might be real after all when Ian reveals himself to her. Harmony was a fast-paced read filled with romance, vampires, and hints of Irish magic and lore.

I think the parts I liked the most were actually the scenes from Ian's perspective. I have always liked reading from a male's perspective and reading from Ian's view made it interesting. While the events in the book go by quickly and some things seem to have an easy resolution, not everything is resolved by the end. I guess that's why it's a planned series.

I would recommend this book to those who can't get enough of YA vampire novels.



Hell on Wheels by Julie Ann Walker
Release Date: August 1, 2012 / Rating: 3 out of 5 stars

First off, I just loved the fact that some of the book was set in my hometown Jacksonville, NC. That was really neat!

Hell on Wheels was about the relationship between Ali and Nate and how they worked together to take down the person who killed Ali's brother and Nate's best friend. I really liked the premise, but I felt only half the book was about the main characters. I think part of the reason the perspective switched to other characters was to set up stories for future books in the series. I realized I didn't mind as much in some instances, since I really enjoyed reading about Frank and Becky. However, I think it might have led to me not quite connecting with Ali and Nate. They did have some great moments, and I'm pretty much happy with how their story ended. I just wish I felt more connected with them.

Overall, it was a fun and interesting read, and I would recommend it to romantic suspense fans!

2 comments:

  1. Yay for mini reviews! Short and sweet. I have galley for Hell on Wheels so I hope I like it a little better than you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, Rachel! I hope you do too. ^^

      Delete