Sunday, November 11, 2012

Review: Iced by Karen Marie Moning

Title: Iced (Fever, #6)
Author: Karen Marie Moning
Pages: 495
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Release Date: October 30, 2012
The year is 1 AWC—After the Wall Crash. The Fae are free and hunting us. It’s a war zone out there, and no two days are alike. I’m Dani O’Malley, the chaos-filled streets of Dublin are my home, and there’s no place I’d rather be.

Dani “Mega” O’Malley plays by her own set of rules—and in a world overrun by Dark Fae, her biggest rule is: Do what it takes to survive. Possessing rare talents and the all-powerful Sword of Light, Dani is more than equipped for the task. In fact, she’s one of the rare humans who can defend themselves against the Unseelie. But now, amid the pandemonium, her greatest gifts have turned into serious liabilities.

Dani’s ex–best friend, MacKayla Lane, wants her dead, the terrifying Unseelie princes have put a price on her head, and Inspector Jayne, the head of the police force, is after her sword and will stop at nothing to get it. What’s more, people are being mysteriously frozen to death all over the city, encased on the spot in sub-zero, icy tableaux.

When Dublin’s most seductive nightclub gets blanketed in hoarfrost, Dani finds herself at the mercy of Ryodan, the club’s ruthless, immortal owner. He needs her quick wit and exceptional skill to figure out what’s freezing Fae and humans dead in their tracks—and Ryodan will do anything to ensure her compliance.

Dodging bullets, fangs, and fists, Dani must strike treacherous bargains and make desperate alliances to save her beloved Dublin—before everything and everyone in it gets iced.

My Thoughts (warning! contains spoilers!): Before Iced came out, I was really really hoping Dani was older. At least 17-years-old. Because I knew Ryodan and Christian were going to be interested in her. Then I found out Iced started off around the same time Shadowfever ended...and Dani was only going to be 14-years-old. I was a bit disappointed and thinking, 'Oh c'mon, how the hell is this going to work out?'  I actually wanted some hot romance in Iced. But definitely not between a tween girl and two very older men! Geez!

Karen Marie Moning said that this Dani trilogy was going to be controversial and was no way in hell a YA novel, but she wouldn't go that far...right? Right. She didn't. I mean, yes, it was strange reading what Christian thought about Dani and how Ryodan was probably thinking along the same lines as Christian. But Dani... Dani wasn't on the same wave length as those guys.  Nor was she annoying. She was awesome! And she can hold her own against all these men. Honestly, I can't help but to praise the author for never being afraid to go there and for creating such strong females.

Dani wasn't crazy-obsessed with losing her virginity as it almost seemed like she was in the previous books. She's weirded the hell out by Christian, and she thinks Ryodan is a sociopath. And she's not crushing on either of those guys like she was with V'lane and Barrons. In fact, I think the only guy she could be crushing on now is Dancer, who is a 17-year-old human. So, I'm glad Dani acts her age and is still her funny, tough and kickass-self! There's a lot more to her than that though. There were glimpses to a side of her I never expected. She's been through a lot with her mother and Rowena. I wonder what else will be revealed. Plus, there's something going on with her powers... I'm worried about her. But she'll make it through. I just know it. Go Dani!!

Ryodan was just like I expected. A scarier version of Barrons. Ryodan treated Dani pretty...harshly and unfair at times. I mean, she's just a kid! Of course, Ryodan and them have been around forever, and they view things a lot whole differently than us mortals. Not going to lie, even though I wish Dani could kick his ass around Dublin, I liked him. Ryodan was as intriguing as I thought he would be. And confusing. One moment he's scary as fuck and then he's acting all polite to Jo and Mac's mother. They tell Dani that he's a nice guy! What?? That's some crazy, complicated shit right there. But hey, it's like I expected. I'm glad Dani's clueless about his true intentions towards her because she would have freaked the hell out.

Christian... Oh Christian. I feel so bad for him. I thought he would still be more like himself, but sadly, he's not. He's turning into an Unseelie prince and acting/thinking like them. He's creepy and weird. Please, KMM, PLEASE change Christian back to human! Please! I miss his old self. I'm sure if he were human he wouldn't be all over Dani. Poor guy! He's like a joke now. Really don't think he has chance with Dani, even if she were older.

Dancer ended up surprising me. I really like him! He's nice and cute and smart. He looks out for Dani and isn't afraid to stand up to Ryodan and Christian. Considering he's only 17 and human..that shows how much balls Dancer has. If you think Barrons and his men are mysterious, just wait till you meet Dancer. I actually wouldn't mind him with Dani (although, I think in the end it'll be Dani/Ryodan). But since he's so mysterious, I'm kind of worried about him. I hope he's not evil. And I hope he isn't killed, if he isn't evil that is.

Lor is one of Barrons and Ryodan's men, and this guy... He's hilarious! I like him a lot. I hope there's more of him in the next books.

Jo. I. Could. Not. Stand. Her. She's currently in a "relationship" with Ryodan. Oh please, woman. Maybe I should feel sorry for her because she's so blind and foolish, but I have no sympathy for her at the moment. I wouldn't be surprised if she ends up like that bitter bitch who was with Barrons before Mac came along. I'm kind of annoyed with Ryodan on this one too. Not surprised he's with other women while waiting for Dani, but did it have to be someone who's important to Dani? Ugh. It's not like Jo is a bad person, but she annoys the hell out of me because now she thinks she's important. Go. Away. End this now Ryodan!

Kat and the rest of sidhe-seers were... I hated Jo more, but I also couldn't stand them. I'm all for women power; however, I've never liked them in the previous books. They've always grated on my last nerve. And Dani is right. They are a bunch of sheep. Reading Kat's POV were the only boring parts in Iced. I wish she would have shut up and done something about her problems! But no... I really hope we get less of the sidhe-seers in the next books. Of course, that will never happen.

Phew! Glad to get all that off my chest. When I finished Iced, I was seriously wishing Burned was already out because the ending was a surprise! Dani's such a great character, and I no longer have a problem with her being 14. I actually feel a bit bummed that's there's only two more books from her perspective. Are we going to get books about her when she's older? I hope so. Other characters I'm really looking forward to reading more about are Ryodan and Dancer. Yep. Overall, Iced was fun and addicting, and I cannot wait for more!

2 comments:

  1. Great review, Alexa. I think I will read this after I'm done with the Fever series. I really wished Dani was at least 17. Hopefully KMM will make her older in the next books. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think i need to start reading this series.=)

    ReplyDelete