Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Reviews: Something Like Normal by Trish Doller & The Piper's Son by Melina Marchetta

Something Like Normal by Trish Doller
Release Date: June 10, 2012 / Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

Something Like Normal featured one of the best male voices I've ever read. Probably the best, since I felt such a strong connection towards Travis. It was so authentic. Honestly, if I were guy, I would want to be someone like him. He was so real and honest. His story had me teary-eyed and my heart breaking throughout. Just thinking about some of the things that happened in this book makes me want to cry! But then, it also had me laughing out loud and swooning and smiling like crazy. I loved Travis's relationships with his mother, his fellow Marines, and Harper. Each stood out in their own way and played an important role in Travis's life after he came back from Afghanistan. I'm not sure what would have happened to Travis if he didn't have these awesome people, but I'm so glad they were there for him. He really needed them and their support.

I felt like I could relate to Travis in a way. My relationship with my father isn't the best either, and I know what it's like to have family in the military. It was a pretty emotional read for me, and I loved it. I pretty much adored everything about this book: Trish Doller's writing, the fantastic characters, and the amazing relationships. I was so sad when it was over. I just wanted more and more. I can't recommend this book enough!



The Piper's Son by Melina Marchetta
Release Date: March 1, 2010 / Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

I love Thomas! Out of all the boys in Saving Francesca, it was definitely Thomas who stood out to me. I was really happy to know more about him and his situation, including the rest of his family's. Melina Marchetta is always so great with family and friend dynamics.

Parts that I loved the most were the ones where Thomas was with the other characters from Saving Francesca like Tara, the girls, and Will Trombal. Awesome friends and hilarious moments. The new characters were great as well. Oh, and I can't forget to mention the Jellicoe Road characters that made cameo appearances. I was fangirling like crazy every single time they were mentioned! I could not help myself!

As with every Melina Marchetta novel I finish, I wish it didn't have to end. But I love that there's always hope in the end and that you just know it will all eventually work out for the characters. I seriously can't wait to read Marchetta's next book. Love them all!

No comments:

Post a Comment