Monday, August 6, 2012

Review: Onyx by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Title: Onyx (Lux, #2)
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Pages: 416
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Release Date: August 14, 2012
Being connected to Daemon Black sucks…

Daemon’s determined to prove what he feels for me is more than a product of our bizarre connection. I’ve sworn him off even though he’s running more hot than cold these days. But against all common sense, I’m falling for him. Hard.

Our relationship issues aren’t out biggest problem…

The Department of Defense is here. If they ever find out what Daemon can do and that we’re linked, I’m a goner. So is he. And when a new boy shows up a school with a secret of his own, things get complicated fast. I need to choose between my own instincts and Daemon’s.

But then everything changes…

I’ve seen someone who shouldn’t be alive. Daemon’s never going to stop searching until gets the truth. What happened to his brother? Who betrayed him? And what does the DOD want from them—from me?

No one is who they seem. And not everyone will survive the lies.

My Thoughts: It's been two months since I've read Onyx. I can't remember all the things I wanted to say in my review, but I still remember all the strong emotions I felt while reading the book. Before I get to that, though, I want to start off with some happy things!

I pretty much stalked Jennifer L. Armentrout's Twitter and Facebook through the entire month of June, especially the first two weeks. It was during the time when she went on tour with the LUX cover models, Pepe and Sztella! I wish I could have made it to one of the events, but seeing pictures were enough. All the pictures JLA posted put a HUGE stupid smile on my face. I was fangirling like crazy; I couldn't get enough of Sztella and Pepe! It was almost like Katy and Daemon were real. haha I'm glad the tour happened when I started reading Onyx because after I was done with Onyx... I was left feeling a bit drained. There was so many devastating moments near the end. It broke my heart. Thankfully, there were lots of fun and adorable Sztella/Pepe pictures being tweeted and posted. Looking at those pictures cheered me up! I know it sounds weird, but it made me feel like Katy and Daemon were safe and happy.


Now for my thoughts on the book. While I was reading the first half, I wasn't quite sure what to expect next. Nothing extremely major had happened yet. But it was like the calm before the storm. I knew something big was going to be revealed. I just didn't realize how insane things were going to get and how emotionally draining it was going to be for me and the characters. One second I'm feeling calm, and then BAM! The next second I'm freaking the heck out! And then there was the ending. Wow. I was stunned. I couldn't decide if I wanted to cry tears of joy or sadness. It was extremely bittersweet. Onyx had plenty of moments that made laugh and smile and and swoon like a fangirl, but at the end, it left me with this deep feeling of sadness.

I really felt for the characters. (I even felt sorry for Blake! Now that's saying something.) They kept having to go through all these heartbreaking and dangerous situations. I'm not sure I would have been able to survive, so I'm proud of these characters for staying strong and never giving up. And because of these life-changing events, the characters grow and change tremendously. In Obsidian, I think we all can agree that Daemon was a real asshole to Katy, but we did see glimpses of his softer and kinder side. We got so much more of that in Onyx. Daemon has so much depth to him, and I loved that he's allowing Katy to see that side of him. I cannot wait to continue with this series, to find out what happens with these characters. I know things aren't going to go smoothly in Opal with the way things ended in this book; however, I really hope that Katy and Daemon and the rest of their group stay strong and eventually find happiness.

If you loved Obsidian, I don't see how you won't love Onyx. Onyx takes the series to a higher level and pretty much owns the first book! It's going to make you wish the third book was already out. Good thing we only have to wait till December for more.

Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Jennifer for this series, i enjoyed all the characters, all i can say now is bring on the final book!

    Cath Brookes (Skagway Alaska)

    ReplyDelete